As a developer I aspire to…
- Write clean code supported by automated tests
- Find the quickest way to complete my work without skipping a detail
- Find the least amount of scope that’s necessary to achieve the goal without short-changing the end user
- Give and receive helpful feedback during peer review, providing answers to review comments, not rebuttals, and providing observations and suggestions, not criticism
- Maintain high standards for myself and hold others to them
…but I will choose wisely when not to.
As a developer I will avoid…
- Leaving the software messier or more complex than I found it after a change
- Adding software to a poorly understood area without gaining the necessary understanding
- Expanding the scope of my work to solve enormously unrelated problems
- Making continuous improvement someone else’s problem
- Procrastination relating to bugs or technical debt I have just created
…but I will accept when that’s not a reasonable use of my time.