We’ve had some excellent demos in recent memory… and some clunkers. When we get a demo right, there are a few things that contribute to it, not least of which is following the guidance from the Great Demo school of thought.
For a punchy demo, here are some criteria:
- Find a single outcome that represents the sum of the progress made
- Briefly summarise the goal and the context – so people are waiting for the right outcome
- Make the outcome happen as fast as possible – ideally with something that moves/changes on screen as you do it
- Explain what they’ve just seen and how it’s met their goal
- Show a variation if relevant
- Add any background context
Try to stay focused on the single message as any side details will not add to the understanding, but take away from it.